Monday, March 30, 2015

Crappie When And Where To Catch Them

Crappie When And Where To Catch Them


crappie when and where to catch them

Well, the Crappie will hit the shallow just in front of the bass. Grandpa and other fishermen will tell you when the Dogwood Blooms, the Crappie are hitting.

I have found this to hold true except when Mother Nature throws you that curve...and everyone has heard me say that.

Normally the crappie will start their Spawn in water temperature in the low to Mid 50's then it is time to hit the lake.

Spring time and fall are the shot at big Slabs and I am talking 3-4 pounders. Down south, Enid Lake in Mississippi hold the World’s record for a crappie caught and I believe it is over 5 pounds.

Almost every state has a lake that holds Crappie and it is the best time to get the kids out when the Crappie are biting. There is never a dull minute; in fact it can wear you out.

Around the MidSouth, I would recommend the following lakes if they have water and that is the big if. 

Mississippi lakes and I rank these for the best and will list them in that order
1. Arkabutla, 2. Enid, 3. Sardis, 4. Lake View, 5. Flower lake,  6. Grenada

ArKansas  
1. Greers Ferry, 2. Island 40, 3. Horseshoe,

Tennessee Lakes
1. Kentucky Lake, 2. Reelfoot Lake, 3. Cold Creek, 4. Pickwick Lake

Ok, now once you get to the lake where do I look for the crappie and by the way, Crappie have another name. They are also called papermouths, and the reason will become real clear to you when you try and set the hook like a bass and rip it through his lips.


crappie lcoationsThe crappie are going to be in Rock, Wood, Grass in the shallows... Hey there are those three places just like the bass again. 

Two years ago when Mississippi had some water, I was hitting one little grass shoot and would nail a three pounder. What is the old saying “do not leave a spot until you have tried them all”.

Check out the boat docks and marinas...and don't forget those honey holes that I mentioned in another article.

After all you built them, now is the time to cash in on them. 

Crappie are not like Bass. They will come in by the thousands and after you have caught what seems to be all the fish; back off and believe me when I say follow this tip. The available crappie supply will restock itself within 1 hour; new fish will move in and they are there for the taking.

Fishing for Crappie can start at daylight and run until midday then again at dusk and night time under a light is also very good.

The only part about night time; I recommend fishing from a pier if you are like me and do not like them wiggly sticks (snakes). They will also be out looking for a meal and I prefer to be in a place that I can run and a boat does not give me enough room to run.

One last thing I must remind you to do; please check with the local Wildlife agency to make sure the size that is legal and the amount you can have in your cooler.

I will try and run an article of what I can find out about the laws forth coming.

Keep the Hooks Wet!


VISIT       HTTP://BLUERIBBONLURES.COM

FOR DISCOUNT FISHING AND HUNTING GEAR

No comments:

Post a Comment